This post is also available in: English (Anglais)
Distinguished Educational Developer Career Award 2016
[media-credit name= »Eileen Herteis » align= »alignleft » width= »150″][/media-credit]
Eileen Herteis has been Director of the Purdy Crawford Teaching Centre at Mount Allison University, since May, 2004. Previously Programme Director at the University of Saskatchewan’s Gwenna Moss Teaching Centre, Eileen received the President’s Service Award to recognize her contributions to teaching and learning. She has served two consecutive terms as Chair of the Association of Atlantic Universities Faculty Development Committee, five times on the 3M Teaching Fellow Selection Committee, and two years on the STLHE Steering Committee. With Nicola Simmons, she co-authored the STLHE Green Guide, The Portfolio Process (2010). An Educational Developer since 1989, Eileen believes in the power of personal connection to effect consequential change.
Eileen’s nomination package highlighted the following contributions:
- Her innovation and leadership in catalyzing positive change for teaching and learning at Mount Allison through initiatives like the ‘Quo Vadimus’ discussion group and her work with the Association of Atlantic Universities Teaching Showcase.
- Her initiative in developing the sustainable, scholarly Teaching Intern program at Mount Allison in order to support mentorship and undergraduate students.
- Her wide-ranging and impactful contributions to the Society for Teaching and Learning in Higher Education, including encouraging 3M nominations for instructors and students to celebrate Mount Allison’s exceptional leaders in teaching and learning, serving on the 3M selection committee, her editorial work for the Green Guide series and the nomination board for the Educational Developers Caucus.
Her colleagues, who provided enthusiastic letters of support, noted that Eileen:
- “is a phenomenal woman and leader. She is a breath of fresh air, a saucy breeze, and gale force, all in one… Any time I have a chance to work with Eileen, I feel delight and excitement because of the energy, insight, commitment and playfulness she brings to every project. She is a wealth of knowledge, and a privilege to know.”
- “Her support for teaching excellence was shown in routine everyday interactions, as well as in colloquia she organized, and the careful and thoughtful mentoring of faculty who were identified as outstanding teachers deserving of recognition at Mount Allison, in the region… and nationally.”
- “Eileen always made whatever she works on better – and a lot more fun which is no small thing.”